Care For Your Futon
A. REGULAR CARE PROGRAMME:
The following regular care programme should be followed to prolong your mattress’ life to obtain maximum comfort.
- Keep your mattress clean and dry. We recommend placing a quality, washable mattress protector over the mattress when it is being used as a bed. We also recommend a Futon cover on the mattress when it is used as a sofa.
- With use, the cotton fill in your FUTON settles down and becomes firmer. To keep it resilient the mattress should be fluffed up weekly. The first month of owning your Futon, flip or turn your mattress weekly. If you are using your futon as a sofa make sure that you do not sit in one place, move along the mattress so you do not get a worn place in the mattress.
- You need to turn your futon on a fortnightly basis. The regular turning prolongs the mattress’ life by uniform wear to each side of the mattress and will ensure your mattress is well ventilated and that the contents remain evenly distributed.
- Turning of your futon must be done by a minimum of two people holding the entire mattress so as not to tear the mattress cover.
- On a monthly basis, put your futon in the sun preferably raised to allow any accumulated moisture in the mattress to dry. The occasional periods will have the added benefit of fluffing the cotton or wool and maintaining the loft of the natural fibre. If the fibre seems to have flattened use a smooth stick and beat the mattress. This will help to fluff the material.
The following are a few helpful points for cleaning your Futon.
- Removable covers are readily available and recommended for your futon because mattresses cannot be laundered or dry cleaned if they become soiled. Removable covers are easily taken off of the futon and cleaned in cold water and Wool Mix.
- Treat spills and stains as soon as possible. Gently scrape away soil and mop up any liquid from the fabric. As per the care label apply the recommended cleaning agent to remove the residue of the spill. First test the cleaner on an inconspicuous area. Don’t saturate the fabric or interior with water or cleaning liquid. DO NOT use washing or laundry detergent or scrub with a brush. Dry thoroughly before use.
- Many orders of stains may be removed from your FUTON by mixing a thin paste of baking soda and water. Apply it to the affected area; allow drying completely, then brush or vacuum the mixture off the futon.
C. YOUR SAFETY
We care for your safety so here are some helpful hints.
- Do not attempt to lift or turn the futon by yourself, or you may risk back injury. Always ask someone to help you.
- Dispose of the plastic bag immediately. Make sure that children never use the plastic bag as a plaything as there are no air vents and they may suffocate. These bags can be recycled.
- Never place the futon near open flames or fire. The mattress is not flame proof or fire proof and can ignite or burn if exposed to an open flame or fire. When ignited some materials can emit smoke or hazardous gases.
- When the Futon is used as a bed never smoke while in bed.
- Note these warnings, as a failure to do so you could void your warranty.
- Do not attempt to lift or turn your Futon by yourself. Always use at least 2 people as you may damage the mattress casing or stuffing.
- Always grasp by the entire thickness of the filling never the casing alone, which may stress the seams, zip and stuffing causing the casing to rip.
- In colder conditions body moisture may condense on the underside of your Futon causing soiling. Check regularly for moisture or soiling. If this happens turn and air your mattress more frequently.
- Removable covers are recommended.
- Do not remove the product label attached to your mattress. This label serves as a means of product identification as to establish your warranty rights.